Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Scribble Flower Shirt (J-Crew/Anthropologie)

Oh man, two posts in a row. Look at me go. Today I am going to show you the "Scribble Flower Shirt" that I decorated for my mom for the holidays. Take a peak at the shirts that it was modeled after to see if you're interested in making this craft.

Anthropologie sweater

This is the shirt that another girl made that was inspired by
said Anthropologie sweater.

Materials:

Plain shirt or sweater
Fabric paint or markers in various colors - I used markers. I actually didn't even think to buy paint, but I think that I would've like the markers better anyway because they allow you freedom to vary the opaqueness.
Needle and Thread
Sequins, buttons, beads (optional)

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of each step of the process, but you can get the idea here: http://simplyhandmadebypaige.blogspot.com/2010/07/tutorial-tuesday-guest-blogger-jessica.html --> I will admit that she has a ton of cute tutorials, but that doesn't mean you should stop reading e & k !

1. Take your shirt and scribble some blobs on there in different colors. The messier and more asymmetrical, the better, I say. Stop for a moment after each circle to take a look at your shirt. It's easy to get carried away and paint/draw too many, which would make it look like a clown shirt.

2. Sew shapes in the rough shape of flours on top of each scribble. You could probably hand stitch this, but I chose to use a sewing machine because I was pressed for time. You can obviously use whatever color of thread that you'd like but I think that black looks nice because it provides a stark contrast to all of the colors and is somewhat grounding.

3. In the center of the flowers, you can sew on sequins, buttons, or beads.

This is the shirt that I made. I realize the quality of the photo isn't very good,
but it's the only one that I have right now. I will try to upload better ones at a later date.

Au revoir!

- E

No comments:

Post a Comment