Thursday, August 5, 2010

Coasters

Hey all! It has been too long. I feel like I've been a crafting maniac this past month, but I don't have much to show for it. Thankfully, I do have one pretty nifty craft that I can share with you all. They are coasters made with your very own pictures (or I guess you could use a magazine, scrapbook paper cut-out or a print-out from the internet) shelaqued on to tiles with cork backing.

Here's what you need:

A tile (you can find one at a hardware store, like Lowe's or Home Depot), any size (mine was roughly 4.25 in x 4.25 in)
Picture printed on paper
Sheet of cork
Paper Adhesive (I used Us ArtQuest Perfect Paper Adhesive)
3D Crystal Lacquer
Crazy Glue (I used Gorilla Super Glue, which I found to be less sticky on my fingers than the name brand)

Here's how to make 'em:
First, choose the image that you want to put on your coaster.

Next, place the tile on top of the section of the picture that you would like to use and trace around the edges on to the paper using a pencil.

Then, using a paper cutter/trimmer, cut the the picture along the drawn lines.

Cover the surface of the tile with your paper adhesive. Make sure that there is no excess liquid, since that may create an uneven surface.


Carefully place the cut out image on to the tile. Run your fingers or a pencil along the edges to make sure that the paper has sufficiently stuck to the tile. Place something flat and heavy on top until it dries. Trust me, you don't want to leave out this step. If you do, the picture turns out all bumpy.

Once the paper is completely glued to the tile, cover the surface of the picture with your 3D glaze. You could use some kind of shelaque or modge-podge as well, but I tried both and I much preferred the 3D glaze. It comes out a lot more clear, smooth, and glossy.

Wait until the top of the tile has dried and then measure out a piece of cork and cut it to size. Use your crazy glue to attach it to the tile. Be careful, though, because the cork is quite porous and it easily seeps through on to your hands. I suppose you could try using hot glue instead.



Et voila! Now you have some beautiful new coasters!

1 comment:

  1. we should make these sometime. i would definitely like to have these for when i have an apartment again. oh man, but you are leaving soon!

    ReplyDelete