Saturday, May 15, 2010

Boots & Flowers

I would have to say there is nothing better than a warm, sunny Saturday.... Except, a warm, sunny Saturday where you put a little goodness in the crock-pot and head outside for some gardening.

It has been chilly this past week, so I have been outside today getting some much needed vitamin D... and having a little fun.

I decided to put my old cowboy boots to use as a planter. It seemed like a pretty sweet idea. Take a look...

What you need:
- Some old boots (probably something you think would be able to handle plants, dirt, and being watered daily)
- Soil
- Plants
- Plastic bag
- Razor blade
- Hammer
- Screw
- Screwdriver

1. Take your boot and make a few drain holes in the bottom. Hammer in the screw a little and then use the screwdriver to get it in the rest of the way. This might be a little difficult, depending on the strength of the bottom of your shoe. Use your muscles! Or...your burly boyfriend.

2. Using the razor blade, cut holes in your boot (be careful!). Make as many as you like. I made two on the side and then one at the bottom. Before you cut your holes, take into consideration where you will be putting your boot and how that will coincide with the location of your holes. For example, I want my boot to stand against a wall, so I only put holes on one side.

3. Once you are satisfied with your work, put a plastic bag in your boot. Cut holes in the bag that mirror the holes in your boot. Stick your plants in there. If your plants are bigger, you might have to fish them through the boot and out the hole. I had this problem because my roots were too big to go in through the hole I cut. I stuck the plant right in the boot and pulled the top of the plant out the hole. Fill the empty space with soil. And don't forget to put a few plants at the top of your boot. Give it a little water and you are good to go.

I wanted a little color for the deck, so I used mostly flowering plants. But, if you are so inclined, you can make yourself an herb boot. You also might want to make sure your boot is securely in it's final spot. Maybe throw a few rocks around it so it doesn't tip over if it is windy. It would be a shame to go water it in the morning and find the wind blew it over.

See, now after all that hard work I can go inside, crack open that crock-pot, and have myself some vegetarian lasagna. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment